Monday, October 31, 2005

Things to do when you're tupped: Hack your blog

OR,

dorna! attempts to get all geeky on Blogger's arse

Working notes...

- Thursday, October 27, 2005, 11:05 AM:
The universe has a twisted sense of humour, oft times directed laser-like at yours truly. This humble Blogspotter has always pined for the elusive Blogger category hack. Understandable really - considering the thing was supposedly not possible. So imagine my glee when, having resuscitated the old blog back in February (?), I discovered that someone had found a work-around. No, no, there'd be no internal category results piped sexily into my side-bar; but by the gods I'd have something approaching it. There was of course a hitch. The hack required the use of tags. Ugh.

Read on...

I'd been surreptitiously eyeballing the entire tagging phenomenon, hoping it'd just go away like so many other blogging fads, mostly 'cause I couldn't figure out how to do it from within the Blogspot universe; and once it had finally filtered in through my thick skull that "no dorna! this foofing shite ain't going nowhere" I'd amassed a goodly 500 posts.

So, what do I need to execute this much longed for category hack?
  1. Freshblog's tutorial? Check!
  2. A Del.icio.us account to do all the sorting? Check!
  3. Firefox suitably Greasemonkeyed? Check!
  4. Technorati and Del.icio.us tag-generating script edited and installed? Check!
  5. Patience by the truck load? Er...
---

- Friday, October 28, 2005, 12:22 AM:
Mmmm, 5 posts edited to contain Technorati tags. Tedious but not painful. Go dorna! Go dorna! What to do now? Finish editing the week's posts? Ay mammy... No one actually expects me to go back and re-edit all of those do they? Hmmm? I mean can't I just ignore everything posted before, oh, last Friday? Maybe I should go to sleep, or have some more coffee, or better yet more Robitussin? I wonder if Rome's on...

---

- Friday, October 28, 2005, 12:15 PM:
Hang on a tick... Where are these tag thingies supposed to be pointing to? My Del.icio.us account, right? So why are they pointing to Technorati? Ah shit I'm using the wrong tool. I can not deal with this tonight.

---

- Saturday, October 29, 2005, 11:03 PM:
Correct bookmarklet installed. Posts re-edited and then some. Template modified appropriately. Hmmm... Why are the forms misbehaving? I'd better quintuple check that tutorial. What the...?

---

- Sunday, October 30, 2005, 2:22:36 AM:
After putting the final touches on my not pretty but serviceable dropdown menus I discovered that 2 enterprising web loggers had figured out how to generate internal category results using ".js". "Son of a bitch", I thought, "like these guys couldn't have figured this out last week, before I gave my self a level 4 migraine?" It took me 2 hours of reading and experimenting to realise the technique was of no use to me, given that I didn't have a server to park the sundry scripts at.

Right. *sigh* I'm off to fix myself a stiff shot of Guatemalan firewater.



5 Ninjas, 1 Kitten and a Fifth of Vodka!